The House’s special committee set up by the plenary of the House of Representatives to probe the ongoing Executive mansion renovation work has presented its preliminary findings to the houses plenary Wednesday, September 18, 2019.
The committee chaired by Grand Gedeh County Representative Dr. George Saigbe Boley disclosed that several contractors and individuals associated with the ongoing renovation are yet to be identified.
The committee said due to the sensitivity of the matter requested an additional time of about three months with an adequate budget support to help facilitate a full scale and detail probe and investigation into the matter.
The preliminary report shows that national treasury and historical artifacts reserved for significance purposes over the period at the mansion can’t be accounted for neither found.
Additional the findings historicized that between April 2011 and January 2015, a total of US$ 24,788,101.18 was expended to repair the executive mansion.
Moreover several contractors, subcontractors and individuals were involved in the executive mansion renovation process.
According to a GAC report for the period of July 1, 2006 through December 31, 2015 reveals that the executive mansion renovation contract was awarded in three phases namely: Phase one was for the fourth floor only where the fire took place while phase two was for the renovation of the seven other floors of the mansion that were unaffected by the fire and phase three was to undo all the renovation work previously done due to the use of substandard materials by the first contractor (CNQC)
The report indicated that the first contractors, state-owned company (CNQC) Quinlian (LIB) which had no extensive experience work in Liberia but was hired to do the work something the Lawmakers believe led to them using substandard materials as their contract was later on terminated leaving the project as the victim.
Meanwhile other contractors include: Milton and Richards, Pan African Engineering Group and Cape Resources and Vaxs among others.
The report stated that both the first and second contractors of the project did not do justice to the government of Liberia.
Moreover, the companies in question are yet to account for their respective roles in the renovation of the executive mansion.
It can be recalled that former President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf also set up a special presidential committee to probe into the same matter but since the June 21, 2017 release of said report, the findings are yet to be addressed.
As a result of the ongoing multiple investigations and hullabaloo, is exactly fourteen years since the Executive mansion gutted by fire during the 159th Independence Day celebration of Liberia as the mansion up till press time remains unusable while the renovation work since fourteen years is incomplete.