The Liberian Senate on Tuesday May 18, 2021 conducted elections for 6 Statutory Committees to complete its Leadership with four new members, formerly of the House of Representatives elected.
The elected members on the Leadership Committee includes: Sen. Prince Moye of Bong County, Chairman on Education, Sen. Edwin Melvin Snowe of Bomi County, Chairman on Public Works, Sen. Sen. James Biney of Maryland County, Chairman on Foreign Affairs, and Sen. Prince Y. Johnson of Nimba County, Chairman on National Defense, Security & Intelligent.
Others are, Sen. Augustine Chea of Sinoe County, Chairman on Health and Gender, and Sen. J. Emmanuel Nuquay of Margibi County, Chairman on Public Accounts Committee, a new committee that was elevated to the leadership committee.
The elections for the committee’s heads is to fill the gap created as a result of the December 8, 2020, midterm Senatorial elections in which many of the Chairpersons of these committee were not re-elected to the Liberian Senate.
The Senate currently has a total number of 12-persons on the Leadership Committee with the President Pro Tempore serving as head to conduct the daily activities of the Liberian Senate.
In a brief remark, Senate Pro-Tempore T. Albert Chie, thanked his colleagues for the peaceful conduct of the election.
He informed them that their Leadership tenure is expected to expire January 2024.
On his social media post Senator Prince Moye, wrote : “Thanks to my distinguished colleagues of the Liberian Senate for electing me (white ballot) as Chairman of the Senate Leadership Committee on Education and Public Administration. Trust me, I’m abundantly honored by the confidence reposed in me by my fellow Senators. The works continue.”
While Senator Edwin Snowe of Bomi county also wrote, “Thanks to Members of the Liberian Senate for electing me (unopposed) as Chairman of the Senate Leadership Committee on Public Works and Infrastructural Development. I am honored by the confidence of my Colleagues. I pledged to uphold your trust and confidence. God bless Liberia and lead us through the path to serve our people!
The Liberian Senate has 26 committees. Twelve (12) are Statutory (elected chairs) while fourteen (14) are Standing Committees with theirs Chairpersons appointed by the President Pro Tempore in consultation with the Leadership.
The Leadership of the 54 Senate 2021-2023 are:
1. Sen. Albert T. Chie of Grand Kru President Pro Tem
2. Sen. Saar H. Joseph of Montserrado County – Chair on Executive
3. Sen. Morris G. Saytumah of Bomi County – Cahir on Ways Means
4. Sen. Varney G. Sherman of Cape Mount County- Chair on Judiciary
5. Sen. Nyonblee K. Lawrence Grand Bassa County- Chair on Rules Order/Adm
6. Sen. James Banny of Maryland County- Chair on Foreign Affairs
7. Sen. Prince Y. Johnson of Nimba County- Chair on National Defense/ Security
8. Sen. Sen. J. Gble-Bo Brown of Maryland County-Chair on Internal Affairs
9. Sen. Augustine Chea of Sinoe County-Chairman on Health and Gender.
10. Sen. Prince Moye of Bong County- Chairman on Education
11. Sen. Edwin Melvin Snowe of Bomi County -Chairman on Public Works;
12. Sen. Emmanuel Nuquay of Margibi- Chairman on Public Account